Well, one thing you should not do is head down the stairs to investigate the sounds when you are half asleep with no plan of attack lol.
So this morning I woke at around 6:20 am to a sound coming from the 1st floor, in my half-asleep state I got up quickly and made my way down the stairs to investigate what this could possibly be, not really thinking anything through or without anything to defend myself … thankfully it was Nicole who had gotten up early to get some work done. And no I woke so quickly I didn’t even notice she was not in bed next to me.
So thankfully again it was nothing, but as I headed back to bed I started to think “What would I have done?“. Clearly, I would likely have not accomplished all that much being half-awake with nothing to defend myself with in case the would-be robber had a weapon on them.
A new plan
Ok well, I wish I had a bullet list of items that were looked into, planned, and set for execution but alas it’s still too early for those thoughts so rather a simple list I came up with and thought I would jot down in hopes that next time I would try to do just this.
- Make sure Nicole is actually sound asleep next to me
- Wake Nicole up and let her know what I “think” is going on
- Rub my eyes so I have a bit more clarity at things around me
- Look for something to use in defense or as a weapon if needed
- Take my phone with me, for light, pictures, and calling for help
- Be a little quiet when going to investigate
Those are really the main things that I came up with the outside of the “It is likely no one robbing us“, but hey better to be safe than sorry next time right?